Sunday, September 27, 2015

Welcome to Autumn with a Bittersweet Farewell to Summer...

As summer quietly comes to a sweet end, the days grow shorter, the evenings cooler and the garden starts to fade....

Sounds like the lead into a welcome to fall speech, doesn't it?  Truth is....I'm NOT ready to welcome fall! Chicagoland had such a brutal endless winter, last year, followed by an equally long, extended spring (all the way into July with rainy, cool and gloomy weather). As far as I'm concerned, summer is only halfway done! No fair! I'm not ready for leaves to turn colors and fall.  Nope.  I want those suckers to just stay put and stay green.

But, when I peek at my sad garden, I can see the party is almost over.  No matter where my heart is (and, trust me, it is still heavy and deep into summer), nature has another plan.  The dogs are blowing their coats in preparation for their heavy winter coats to grow in.  The giant Hibiscus are finally bloomed out and their leaves are already starting to change.  And, dislike as I may, the sun now sets by 7 pm....way, way too early for summer but nowhere as early as it will be setting another month from now.

Sigh.....

So, I need to tough it up, pull on my big girl winter pants and brace myself for the change. Reluctantly I admit I only used the outside grill once because we just aren't really into that type of food.  When it gets warm, we get lazy and eat cold salad type fare.  We are more the peasant pot of soup type of family. ..which is not a summer choice.  Fall means dusting off the big soup pot, harvesting all the parsley that has recently totally taken over the garden and getting ready for the next big adventure.  And that adventure will most certainly include LOTS of thick, hearty soups!

So....love you Summer. with all my heart...miss you madly until next year.  I will rejoice with each and every remaining warm day.  But, I do need to look forward to the next chapter.  So, without further adieu, I have taken a deep breath of this cool, refreshing air and now welcome an old friend back in all her colorful splendor....

Happy Autumn!  Stick around as long as you like and don't let your frigid sister arrive on the scene too soon this year....

And...please take little trip over to my ETSY shop.  I'm in the process of loading fall and winter seasonal items for your viewing and gift buying pleasure.  Many of these items are one-of-a-kind handcrafted pieces that were made by my little ole hands from my little ole original patterns and designs.  Once they are gone...they will be gone.  The name of my ETSY shop is Sweet Petatoes.  Here is the link: http://sweetpetatoes.etsy.com

Both photos here show just a couple of the one-of-a-kind items currently listed in my ETSY shop. Oh there are just SO many other item, including scrapbook kits, photos albums, dog and cat notecards from my original realistic line art...and more to come as the weeks progress.

Till next time....


No comments: